Learning you have prostate cancer can be a sobering experience. Yet, it is comforting to know that if your condition is diagnosed early, it can be successfully treated with a wide variety of medical options.
No sooner will you be diagnosed than your doctor will discuss these treatment options for your specific case. Your options will be based on the size and type of your particular tumor.
Types of Prostate Cancer Treatments
Depending on the aggressiveness of your prostate cancer, your probable choices may include:
· Surgery – The prostate gland can be removed in an invasive procedure known as a prostatectomy. There are several types of prostatectomies, with the goal of removing all of the cancer from your body. The types of surgery include laparoscopic radical (near or through the belly button), open radical (conventional single incision-based removal), or robotic radical (robot-assisted removal).
· Cryotherapy – This alternative to a radical prostatectomy involves the freezing of prostate tissue, as cold gases are used to freeze and destroy the organ – thereby causing cancer cells to die. The long-term effects of cryotherapy are not well understood, so doctors don’t use this method as their first option.
· Hormone Therapy – Also known as androgen deprivation therapy (ADT), this form of prostate cancer treatment stops your body from producing testosterone – which fuels prostate cancer – to stop or shrink the tumor.
· Immunotherapy – This form of prostate cancer therapy uses your own immune cells to attack advanced prostate cancer. To do this, the cells are extracted from your body, activated, and then re-injected for the purposes of specifically attacking the prostate cancer cells.
· Ultrasound – Still being tested, ultrasound treatment of prostate cancer involves the destruction of prostate cancer cells by delivering focused sound waves to the tumor.
· Chemotherapy – This is a type of treatment that uses one or more anti-cancer drugs delivered intravenously or orally to kill cancer cells and prevent them from multiplying. These drugs are composed of strong chemicals, and they tend to have side effects such as hair loss, fatigue and diarrhea.
· Radiation – This involves the use of high-energy rays of ionizing radiation to target and kill malignant cells. The problem is that conventional radiation therapy also targets the prostate and any surrounding organs and tissues, potentially damaging those areas.
CyberKnife Treatment for Prostate Cancer
A safer, more precise form of radiation therapy is the CyberKnife® System (a.k.a. The Beam of Life), which is a virtually painless, noninvasive procedure that focuses exclusively on the cancerous prostate tumor without affecting surrounding organs, blood vessels, and tissue.
CyberKnife’s robotic design and image-guidance system allows the physician to deliver a precise, maximum dosage of radiation to the tumor without any discomfort and without the need for anesthesia. As a result, patients can receive complete treatment in just one to five sessions and with little or no recovery time after the procedure.
Does CyberKnife Have Side Effects?
Unlike most of the treatment options in the list above, CyberKnife treatment has minimal, if any, side effects. Once a session is completed, you can return to your normal activities immediately.
The CyberKnife System is one of the safest, most convenient, and most highly successful cancer treatment options currently available. Which is why patients from around the world have come to the CyberKnife Center of Miami to take advantage of this revolutionary technology.
CyberKnife Prostate Cancer Treatment Center in Miami
If you have been diagnosed with prostate cancer or advanced prostate cancer, or if you are looking for an alternative to invasive surgery to treat your prostate cancer, you and your doctor should consider the many therapeutic benefits of the FDA-cleared CyberKnife System. For more information, please visit our website at
At the CyberKnife Center of Miami, we truly care about our patients and their families. Our goal is to helplive longer, healthier lives – and so they can even continue to enjoy life while undergoing treatment.
Contact us today to find out whether you or your loved one is a candidate for The Beam of Life. Call us ator contact us via our easy-to-use . Let us help treat your prostate cancer so you can continue to thrive in the active lifestyle you enjoy.