Gentleman, this topic about prostate health may make you blush or giggle. It also may cause your spouse or partner to get a little red-faced too.
But here’s what the research says: When it comes to reducing the risk of prostate cancer, you may want to abide by the motto “use it or lose it.”
That’s because according to Harvard School of Public Health , studies show more frequent ejaculation is shown to reduce the risk of prostate cancer.
Yes, having sex or ejaculating can lower your chance of getting prostate cancer.
The 2016 Harvard study of nearly 32,000 men found for men in their 20s and 40s ejaculating more than 20 times a month can reduce your risk of prostate cancer by 20 percent when compared to only four to seven times a month.
“This is a fairly sizable effect,” said study author Lorelei Mucci, a Harvard professor of epidemiology.
Experts say while they don’t know exactly why there’s a link, ejaculating may flush out cancer-causing or harmful chemicals from the prostate.
An Australian study said ejaculating seven times a week can lower the odds. It states: “Ejaculatory frequency, especially in early adult life, is negatively associated with the risk of prostate cancer, and thus the molecular biological consequences of suppressed or diminished ejaculation are worthy of further research.
While research is ongoing, doctors say ejaculation doesn’t protect against the most deadly or advanced forms of prostate cancer, according to WebMd. And not all studies on the subject have found the same conclusion. Frequent sex or ejaculation also doesn’t stop the prostate from growing. That’s just part of the aging process according to the Cleveland Clinic.
“Certain parts of your body will continue to grow as you age — and the prostate is one of them,” says Dr. Brad Gill, a urologist at the Cleveland Clinic.
However, sex and ejaculation may help lower stress, burn calories, boost your immunity and reduce pain. These are all good for a man’s overall health and well-being.
Boost Prostate Health
When it comes to overall prostate health Johns Hopkins School of Medicine offers this advice:
- Eat a well-balanced diet. Green leafy veggies are loaded with cancer-fighting antioxidants.
- Avoid charred meat. It can release a cancer-causing chemical compound.
- Get vitamin D. It too can reduce your risk of prostate cancer.
- Know your prostate cancer risk factors.
- African American men, those of Scandinavian descent and anyone with a family history of prostate cancer is at an increased risk of developing the disease.
- Get screened.
- Most men should start at 50. But if you’re at a higher risk, start at 40.
- And don’t be embarrassed to talk to your doctor about prostate health. It could save your life!
If doctors detect an irregularity and pathology confirms prostate cancer, you have treatment options, including radiation.
CyberKnife Treatment for Prostate Cancer
The experts at the CyberKnife Center of Miami are here to help you decide on a treatment plan. CyberKnife Miami offers state-of-the-art radiation treatment for prostate cancer called Stereotactic Body
Radiation Therapy or SBRT.
Here are the advantages:
- It’s noninvasive.
- No risks of infection.
- No long periods of downtime like there is with surgery.
- CyberKnife’s treatments can be done in five therapy sessions over 10 days instead of 42 over three months with other types of radiation treatments.
- The CyberKnife radiation beams, which target and destroy the tumor, are exceedingly precise.
- Therefore there is less risk of side effects including impotence and incontinence.
CyberKnife has a 98-percent cure rate for prostate cancer.
“CyberKnife is an amazingly precise way to deliver radiation to the prostate,” says Dr. Mark Pomper, board-certified radiation oncologist and medical director of CyberKnife Miami on CyberKnife Miami’s YouTube Channel. “It’s not readily available in all places, but Miami is blessed to have the CyberKnife Center of Miami. Our team has the most amount of experience using this technology because we’ve been doing it the longest. That experience allows us to take on tougher cases too.”
CyberKnife Treatment Miami
At CyberKnife Miami, we have successfully treated hundreds of prostate cancer patients from across the country and right here in South Florida with excellent results.
If you are diagnosed with prostate cancer, call CyberKnife Miami for a consultation.
If you would like to find out more about prostate cancer treatment with CyberKnife, call us at 305-279-2900 or go to our prostate cancer website now for more information.